Brown To Create Most Comprehensive Long-Term Care Database
The National Institute on Aging has awarded members of Brown University's Center for Gerontology and Health Care Research a major grant to create a first-ever national database that will allow researchers to study the impact of state policies and market forces on the quality of long-term care. The award comes at a time of increasing demand for the services of nursing homes and other long-term care providers; By 2020, an estimated 12 million U.S. elderly will need some form of long-term care.
"Placing Feeding Tubes in Hospitalized Nursing Home Residents with Advanced Dementia Varies Widely," is available at www.jamamedia.org. It is also available on the JAMA YouTube, here is the link: http://pubs.ama-assn.org/homepage/media/pastreleases.dtl. This is freely available and no password sign-in needed.
LTCFocUS.org is a new website from the Shaping Long-Term Care in America Project being conducted at the Brown University Center for Gerontology and Healthcare Research and supported, in part, by the NIA. LTCFocUS.org provides users with research abstracts and publications and allows users to create their own tables and maps to gather information by state, county, or facility, including information on facility characteristics, geo-coded facility locations, resident characteristics, market characteristics, and state long-term care policies.
Go to LTCFocUS.org
Video - The history of the Center for Gerontology in memory of the first Director of the Center, Sidney Katz, MD. Click here to see the video. (This is a very large file.)
27th Annual Katz Lecture: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 at 4 PM
Our featured speaker for this year's Katz Lecture is Marco Pahor, MD. Dr. Pahor is Professor and Chair, Department of Aging and Geriatric Research at the University of Florida Health Science Center.
Faculty In The News
- In April 2013, Professor Joan Teno becomes part of the Scientific Advisory Board for the Cicely Saunders Institute.
- In April 2013, Professor Joan Teno receives award for her work on Hospice Quality at the Management and Leadership Conference of the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization.
- In March 2013, Associate Professor David Dosa's essay regarding CPR death highlights end-of-life decisions originally appeared Thursday, March 7, 2013 in USA Today. Click here to see press release.
- In February 2013, Professor Joan Teno's study that included data on more than 800,000 Medicare beneficiaries who died between 2000-2009, a lower portion died in an acute care hospital in recent years, although both ICU use and the rate of healthcare transitions increased during the last month of life, appearing in the February 6 issue of JAMA. Click here to see the press release.
- In January 2013, a major gift received from the Irene Diamond Fund to launch a major initiative on healthy aging. Professors Richard Besdine and Terrie Wetle are co-directors on the Diamond Initiative. Click here to see the press release.
- In December 2012, Postdoctoral Research Fellow Kali Thomas and Professor Vince Mor report that many older adults need only a little support to stay in their homes, but when that isn’t available they can end up in an expensive nursing home where they don’t need most of the available services. According to a new study, states that invest more in delivering meals to seniors’ homes have lower rates of such “low-care” seniors in nursing homes, after adjusting for several other factors. Click here to see the press release.
- In November 2012, Postdoctoral Research Fellow Andrea Wysocki awarded the Carroll Estes Outstanding Paper Award from the Gerontological Society of America.
- In October 2012, Professor Susan Miller's study about barrier to hospice increases hospitalization is in the Brown University's featured news. Click here to see press release.
- In October 2012, Associate Professor Linda Resnik's study about new metric to track prosthetic arm progress is in the Brown University's featured news. Click here to see press release.
- In June 2012, Professor Vincent Mor testifies at Senate Special Committee on Aging. Click here to see press release.
- In June 2012, Assistant Professor Zhanlian Feng's study about more seniors being held for observation is in the June edition of Health Affairs. Click here to see press release.
- In May 2012, Associate Professor Orna Intrator is Director of the Geriatric and Extended Care/Data Analysis Center at the Providence VA Medical Center. To see the Veterans Health bulletin, click here.
- In May 2012, Professor Richard Besdine received the Milton Hamolsky Lifetime Achievement Award from ACP RI on May 3, 2012.
- In May 2012, Assistant Professor Amal Trivedi will be the recipient for the Dean's Award for Excellence in Mentoring in Public Health at Brown University.